Colorado College Classic
Fri.-Sun., Jan. 20-22 | Schlessman Natatorium | Colorado Springs, Colo.
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. With the 2022-23 regular season winding down for Western Colorado swimming and diving, the Mountaineers will get one last prelims-finals rehearsal at the Colorado College Classic January 20-22 before following the same format at the Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference championship meet the second weekend in February.
Colorado College Classic – Schedule
- Fri., Jan. 20
- 4:30 p.m. – women’s 3-meter diving (11 dives)
- 6:30 p.m. – women’s 1,650-yard freestyle (timed final)
- Sat., Jan. 21
- 9 a.m. – swim prelims
- ~1 p.m. – women’s 1m diving (11 dives)
- 4 p.m. – swim finals (top 16 from prelims)
- Sun., Jan. 22
- 9 a.m. – swim prelims
- 4 p.m. – swim finals
WESTERN HEADING INTO THE WEEKEND
The Mountaineers most recently competed at the Orange Bowl Classic in Key Largo, Florida, where they finished third in a field of six teams at the 25-meter Jacobs Aquatic Center pool.
Courtney Coplan swam to a third place in the 50m backstroke and to a fourth place in the 100 back. She also led off Western’s seventh-place 200 medley relay.
Leah Wagner and LynDea Turner added third-place finishes, Wagner earning hers in the 50 breaststroke and Turner touching third in the 200 individual medley.
Jordan Maruska had a busy day, swimming on Western’s medley and freestyle relays along with an eighth place in the 400 free, a seventh in the 100 free and a 10th in the 50 free. Taylor Grebe was also on both relays and added a sixth in the 50 free and a 10th in the 100 free.
As the schedule winds closer to the RMAC championship meet, several Mountaineers have posted times that rank within the top 16 of the conference’s 2022-23 performance list:
- Trinity Caudle – 100 breaststroke (10th), 200 breast (13th)
- Coplan – 100 back (8th)
- Carolyn Goodwin – 1,650 free (15th)
- AvaMarie Hopewell – 500 free (13th), 200 butterfly (13th)
- Tayla Liddle – 200 back (13th)
- Maruska – 200 free (15th), 1,650 free (11th)
- Sidney-Ann Morris – 1,650 free (10th)
- Addison O’Donnell – 200 free (15th), 100B breast (5th)
- Afton Page – 200 back (12th)
- Turner – 100 back (13th), 200 back 7th), 200 IM (16th), 400 IM (9th)
- Wagner – 100 breast (15th), 200 breast (10th), 400 IM (14th)
- Colorado College: Captured the team title at the 2022 Colorado College Classic … Placed third at the 2022 Southern Collegiate Athletic Conference (SCAC) championship meet … Second Team All-American Kate Brush returns for her senior season with the Tigers.
- Colorado University Boulder: The Buffs are a 100+ member swimming and diving club team … the women’s club program placed ninth at the 2022 Collegiate Club Swimming National Championship meet.
- McMurray (Texas) University: Last competed at the Colorado College Classic in 2020, when they placed sixth in the final standings … have placed seventh at the past four SCAC championship meets.
- Adams State: Previously this season was defeated, 164-22, by visiting Western Colorado in a season-opening dual meet, then one month later suffered a 219-18 loss to Western at the Colorado State University Pueblo Quad meet … on Jan. 14 the Grizzlies downed visiting CSU Pueblo, 115-77.
- CSU Pueblo: On Dec. 10 was defeated, 156-46, by host Colorado College … a common foe for Western this season, dropping duals against the Mountaineers at its Quad Meet, in a double-dual at the University of New Mexico, and on Western’s Senior Day in early December.